Thursday, June 23, 2011

Life as we know it

Ahhh, the end of the day.  Before I went back to work, I cherished this time of the day in a "Thank goodness the day is over!" kind of way.  Now, I cherish it because I love the feeling of a day accomplished.

This is not to say that I didn't accomplish anything in the three years I stayed at home.  Of course I did!  I ran a successful (yet messy) household and did everything I could for my two children (who are the loves of my life).  And I still do.  Going back to work doesn't change that.

But being a stay-at-home mom is tough.  I know that stay-at-home moms everywhere will back me up when I say it's one of the hardest, most demanding jobs on earth.  It really is.  And talk about accomplishments: you have wonderful, living, breathing products of all your hard work right there beside you, loving you right back unconditionally.

So why did I decide to start a career in real estate now -- with two young children at home?  Well, answer this is that this was something I dreamed of doing for a long time -- but held back, time and time again, because I never felt it was "the right time."

But guess what?  There may never be "the right time."  It finally dawned on me that "the right time" practically doesn't exist -- that is, unless you make a time "the right time."  There will always be reasons not to do things.  Heck, I find a million reasons every day why now is not the right time to put my folded laundry away.  But I did finally just decided that now is just as good a time as yesterday, next month or next year to start my new career.

And as a result, life as we know it has changed.  All four of us -- hubby, kids, and me -- are learning a new dance, a new routine, and really trying to figure it out along the way. Our house is messier than it was before (could it be possible??  I didn't think it could be.  Turns out I was wrong).  Errands don't get run as quickly or efficiently.  I do miss things like play dates and zoo trips and fun at the pool with my kids during the day.  And I swear my daughter looks older every time I pick her up from her Montessori school every afternoon.

But I'm really excited about my new role as a real estate agent.  There's soooo much to learn, and I'm quickly figuring out that no two days in real estate are the same.  Every client, every house, every aspect of every contact or transaction is different -- and I love that.

I love that I get to help people find the place they can call home.  And I love that, after a great day of helping people, I can go home to my family that I call home.  I feel very fortunate to be in this position, and can't wait to learn more and do more every day -- both at home and at work.  In life.  Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment